Sunday, August 23, 2020

The Stress Pool Never Closes

Greetings to all from the warm waters of the Stress Pool! Most pools in our area stayed closed for the summer, but not the Stress Pool! Oh no, it is always open and hoppin'!

I appeared to have a little more time on my hands in the early days of the pandemic - or, there was more to say. That was before every day was the same as the next. Groundhog day, most of my friends were calling it! There was so much hope for the summer - a vegetable garden, paintings to do, alcohol inks to try, organizing recipes and art supplies, and purging, purging, purging!

What a bust.

I did try the alcohol inks - those were fun! I set everything up on the covered back patio one day in July. Morticia came by to vent about the Doctor - who is now her husband! No reception; that was a no-go after 3 failed attempts - thanks, Covid! I offered her some Yupo paper and showed her how to use them. We chatted and painted. After she left, Ms. Business came outside, and she got a tutorial. Moink didn't come outside, or I would have shown him, too. I took them over to DiDi's and showed her how to use them, and we had a pleasant afternoon painting together. I am blessed to have so much love in my life!

The garden. Well, we got 3 tomatoes (there is still one on the vine that just isn't getting bigger or red!); 1 nice sized eggplant and 1 not so nice eggplant; 3 zucchini before the plant just outright died; and banana peppers out the wazoo, although they never got big enough for stuffing, and some of them are turning red! Mint - even though it is in a container, there is a ton. Basil - I got a lot of pesto which is now in the freezer, but the basil plants look like they've served on the front line of combat. The rosemary (we planted 2 different varieties) looks great, and the next step is to watch some videos on how to dry and store it. So much for gardening!

The paintings. I have several acrylics on canvas started - under paintings and swatches of colors, and they've been that way since early June. Watercolor paintings - well, there are a few of those started, too. Yeah. I'll get to them. And drawings. Sigh.

I did spend some time going through the scads of quilting material, both mine and Mima's - she who dies with the most wins - and I needed to get out of that contest A friend who quilts got the lion's share, and while I kept some (I've got a few quilts in the works), there is still a fair amount left. I did make masks - I've got one for every day of the week now, which I'll need for school. As for the recipes, they aren't going anywhere, yet.

In December I'll start packing up the art supplies. We're finally going to do it - making the move out of this house that we've lived in for 34 years. (DH has lived in it much longer than I!) One floor living is what we're hoping to find, in a place that is closer to both sets of married children, yet not so bad of a drive to work. Speaking of work, Ms. Business is obtaining her hygiene license, and already has a job lined up. Woo Hoo! Way to go! We did uncork the Asti for that one! Back to the move: I have to be packed up and ready to go by the end of April, and there is a little work to be done in the basement area where I currently do my artwork, so December is my personal deadline to be cleaned out of there.

One thing I discovered this summer: 4 months of family togetherness is my threshold. After that, I'm not responsible for my actions. Work couldn't come back fast enough! I'm looking forward to seeing my young artists - some in person, some remotely. Either way, it will be a joy, and a challenge. More on the challenges of art education during a pandemic next time.

Right now, I've got Great Thoughts to think, and a nap to take. So, if you're looking for a place to escape to, come on over to the Stress Pool, where the water is always warm and the concession stand never closes!




No comments:

Post a Comment