Sunday, September 13, 2020

This is No Magic School Bus

 The world around us is ever-changing. We're doing things now we've never done before. We wear masks whenever we go out. We stand apart from our friends while we talk, but at least we are seeing our friends and families, even if it isn't as often as we used to. This year's mantra: We Will Get Through This. 

School has never felt so - well, weird. I can't help but wonder how Ms. Frizzle would have coped.

Only half of the class attends in person 2 days a week - the other half on two other days. Here is my schedule. Try to keep up. Classroom 1: The 'A' group comes on Monday, while full remote and the 'B'' group attends remotely. 'B' group comes in physically on Tuesday (I refer to them as the Hybrid Bees), while the 'A' group and full remote kids attend on-line in a Google Meet. I see 8 classes for 30 minutes each. Wednesdays are either full remote (more-so for classroom teachers, and secondary) or 'office hours' where we are available for questions. Great day for making 'how to' videos and catching up on assignments, lesson planning, etc. Thursday and Friday is filled with 8 other classes. Doesn't sound too bad, right?

But wait, there's more.

I set up the Chromebook in front of my whiteboards around 9:00, and let the remote kids in at 9:05, which is when the first class of the day starts. I teach in front of the Chromebook, making sure that everyone remotely and in person can see what I'm doing. I walk around the room (individual desks this year instead of tables), and students are expected to take their artwork back and forth, so they can work on it at home, remotely, when they aren't attending in person. Every child has been given colored pencils, and remote kids got markers - the rest are back ordered. Who knows when we'll get them? And, I can't do anything with them in school that the remote kids can't do. So, no watercolor painting, tempera painting, no clay, and no printmaking with Gelli plates, because it was just too expensive to order a complete set of everything for 400+ kids. I'm a professional. I can work with colored pencils and charcoal, and hopefully, markers in the near future. We will get through this.

But wait, there's more.

If I'm showing visuals of artists' and their works, I have to run across the room to the PC (and, for those who haven't seen me in awhile, running is not my forte'!), because that's what the projector is wired to. Then back to the Chromebook, then take a spin around the room to make sure everyone in front of me is doing okay. You would think I could lose a few pounds doing this running bit, but my pre-Covid dress pants are still a little too uncomfortable. Maybe in a another week or two...

But wait, there's more.

Now there's a whole new kettle of fish - kids on remote, who are having a blast on the 'chat'. I've finally gotten them to understand they have to turn off the mic while they're on remotely, and to be careful of the chat, because if I need to record a section of the class, their chat also gets recorded, and it tells me who said what. I also check through the chat during the class time, and they know it - they can see me doing it! However, there have been some instances when I've shaken my head - don't know how it hasn't fallen off yet! There was the child who had his camera on (we encourage them to turn it off - don't want to see grandpa walking by in his skivvies - which has happened to another teacher - and everyone would be able to see him!), but he had it on. He was lounging about on the sofa, cuddling with the dog. I finally asked him why he wasn't working. He didn't realize he was supposed to! Then, there was the boy who (accidentally, I hope!) started to present his screen, which caused me to echo- annoying! It took a good 5 minutes before he finally figured out how to un-present! There are the kids who, for whatever reason, either don't hear or aren't paying attention, who ask the same question as the previous 6 kids! Same answer, just a slight escalation of voice each time on my part. Even some of the other remote kids start chiming in the answer on the chat! We will get through this. 

But wait, there's more.

Internet is a wonderful thing - most times. The first few days there were many glitches, but they seem to have worked out most of the bugs. So, the other day, I say to one class that we're just continuing working from the previous day, that they should have found their quotes, and they should be done with the observational drawing of their shoes. One child raises a hand. "I wasn't on yesterday. We didn't have internet."

"Neither did I", says another, very quickly.

"Oh, that's terrible," I reply. "Did you get a chance to go on Schoology to look at the recording of the class?"

 "Well, we didn't have internet," the young lady persisted.

"The entire day?" I asked. Guilty looks from both. Sigh. The new excuse instead of 'the dog ate my homework'.

But wait, there's more.

Then, there was the class that came in on Friday, none of whom got colored pencils. I call the secretary. "Didn't everyone get colored pencils?"

"They were supposed to - we ordered enough."

But, either we were short some boxes (or someone took more boxes than they were supposed to), and the teacher asked the principal if she could just give them crayons. He said yes, forgetting that the art teacher is allergic to crayons! (another story for another day!) So, thanks to my retired music teacher friend Cheri M., who had given me a cardboard box filled with pencils before she left, I was able to make up sets on the spot for those kids in class, and for the ones I'll see on Thursday. Remote kids will have to use crayons - but since I won't be touching them, it doesn't matter.

They don't like to wear masks - who does? I've had to explain to a couple of them that I have 3 out of the 5 underlying conditions for those most susceptible to Covid - and I really don't want it, so please put on the mask! They get lots of mask breaks, so that isn't a worry. Social distancing? We remind, but they're kids. Distancing from their friends is tough. I really feel for them in that respect.

Excuses for internet loss, leaving their artwork at home, and any other number of things that haven't even come up yet!

Is it any wonder, then, that I practically fall into my desk chair when the last child leaves my room at 3:10? I then have 30 minutes to debrief from the day - notes about what I need to remember for the next day and the next week, emails to answer, Schoology to update. (Schoology is my nemesis)

And so, the Stress Pool is filled to overflowing - but the water is still warm, and we can still make a big splash! Come on down and we'll share a few more stories. Thanks for visiting, and come back soon!

And, if you run into Ms. Frizzle, would you please direct her to my classroom? And tell her she has to wear a mask.

1 comment: