Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Taking Stock of the Concession Stand at the Pool

Greetings, friends!
It's a rainy day at the pool - literally, it's raining outside. Perfect time to come inside and assess the day-to-day workings, starting with the concession stand, AKA the Kitchen.
For those who know me well, they will tell you I don't do too badly as the chief cook and bottle washer, probably from all the practice through the years! DH doesn't complain much, except the poor man has been subjected to all sorts of experimental meals this summer. We have a LOAD of recipes that have been collected through the last 34 years, many of which have lovely pictures, but have never been taste-tested in our kitchen. Some of the experiments were real hits; some not so much, and those were appropriately filed in the waste bin. However, there is still a stack to go through. (Picture me hunched over, wringing my hands, laughing maniacally)
Turning the kitchen into an evil doctor's laboratory aside, we have dinners under control. I know I've mentioned in the past that we make a Monthly Menu for dinner. My friend Donna thinks I should publish that and an accompanying shopping list. Maybe someday. The trick is to look at the season (mostly winter or summer), and adjust accordingly. It's hard to make a dish using butternut squash if it isn't in season! Salads are more fun in the summer, while soup makes it onto the menu at least once a week in the winter. Then, add in chicken one night, beef another, and the occasional pork dish. Vegetarian? Sorry - I raised a bunch of carnivores. If I omitted meat, the word mutiny comes to mind.
My downfall is lunch and, yes, breakfast.
Breakfast is actually my favorite meal - I could eat eggs, sausage, and bacon every day, (throw some fresh fruit in there during the summer), but health issues tell me I shouldn't do that on a daily basis. So does the scale. (My least favorite device in the house).
Recently, my aforementioned friend Donna and I went out for a bite, and we covered a wide gamut of topics,  one being meals and the need to eat healthier. (Yes, all the world's problems have now been solved. You're welcome.) That's when she mentioned something that made me go, "huh." She LOVES oatmeal. I do not. In fact, cereal is my least favorite food, but I understand the importance of it in one's diet. The only trouble is that I require a fair amount of sugar to make it remotely palatable, enough so that it would make Doctor Barry frown very hard. Then, Donna told me about Refrigerator Oatmeal.
"What's that?" you ask? Well, I looked it up this morning and found a few recipes for experimentation. (again, maniacal laughter rings through the house) I mean, who couldn't resist something called 'Blueberry Cheesecake', or 'Apple, Inc.', and don't forget 'Chocolate Banana Bonkers' and 'Peachy Blinder'. Instead of sugar, use fruit, and yogurt, and maybe a teaspoon of maple syrup! Brilliant! And, the best part? You make it the night before in a mason jar, stick it in the fridge, and voila! You have breakfast! You can take it on the go - maybe heat it in the microwave when you get to work on days you're running a little late. In the meantime, you've got a healthy breakfast that might not taste so bad. Here's the link I found for recipe ideas.  https://hurrythefoodup.com/how-to-make-overnight-oats-in-a-jar
Some of the recipes suggested chia seeds - no. Sorry, but there are just some things I can't fathom, like something one would rub on a terracotta figure, add water, and watch grass grow on Shreck's head. Yeah....no. I ordered a few mason jars from our favorite online ordering spot - everything from A to Z, you know. (Sorry, DH, but I didn't want to hog up all the jars we already own!). You can make enough of these oatmeal concoctions to last a few days, so I can still have eggs once in a while. Just not every day. I can live with that.
Lunches - well, we're working on that, too. DH bought a bunch of containers so that we can make up meals over the weekend, pack them in these containers, and lunches are healthy and ready to go. Sounds like a lot of work, but if we're doing this together, then no big deal, right? It might at least be diverting for awhile!
So, if you're in the neighborhood, stop by the Pool - and please, don't be put off by the woman with crazy hair, covered in flour, running around the kitchen and laughing like she's lost her last marble. I'll always hold onto a few for my friends! Maybe there will even be a piece of pie and a hot cup of coffee to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment