Saturday, December 15, 2012

Swimming, swimming, in our swimming pool

Aah, a small break from the holiday rush.  I've tried to take a new approach to the holidays:  less is more.  I like a few simple decorations, but not so many that taking them down will require so much effort that they'll still be up in April!  Someone recently said they don't put up a tree anymore because then you'd have to take it down.  Well, I guess there's that.
I just finished doing my favorite bit of the season - the Christmas cards.  I love sending greetings to friends all over the country, and one in Canada.  People we see several times during the year don't get the traditional letter, but everyone else does (lucky people!), just to keep them up on what the kids are doing. Of course, we only put in the good things, like writing letters to Santa - who would ever write about how naughty one had been during the year?  Not that the children are naughty - of course, they're wonderful children.  With us as the parents, how could they not be?  They've told us themselves how we could never be described as helicopter parents, and that we guided them to be self-sufficient - except for Moink.  They understand that we're tired parents, and aren't as hard on the youngest as we were on the first four. The point is, our far away friends get to hear all about their exploits whether they want to or not!
So, to add a little humor (because humor is one way to alleviate stress), I'm including one of my favorites.  We're all familiar with the "All I needed to know about life I learned..." lists that encompass many different venues. This one is what is learned from a snowman, which came on a Christmas card several years ago.  My favorite is that the key to life is to be a jolly, happy soul, which is what I strive to do daily.  My next favorite is about the placement of the carrot.  You'll have to read it!
As Christmas approaches, I hope you're able to breathe a sigh every so often and regroup.  Remember, it's a joyous time in many ways, and you'll enjoy it much more if you keep it simple.

All I Need to Know about Life I Learned from a Snowman

*It's okay if you're a little bottom heavy
*Hold your ground, even when the heat is on.
*Wearing white is always appropriate
*Winter is the best of the four seasons.
*It takes a few extra rolls to make a good midsection.
*There's nothing better than a foul weather friend.
*The key to life is to be a jolly, happy soul.
*It's not the size of the carrot, but the placement that counts.
*We're all make up of mostly water.
*You know you've made it when they write a song about you.
*Accessorize!  Accessorize!  Accessorize!
*Avoid yellow snow.
*Don't get too much sun.
*Don't put someone else's corncob pipe in your mouth - you don't know where it's been.
*It's embarrassing when you can't look down and see your feet.
*It's fun to hang out in your front yard.
*Always put your best foot forward (I'm still wondering how this applies to snowpeople)
*There's no stopping you once you're on a roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment