Saturday, July 9, 2022

Halfway Through the Run

 Greetings, fellow swimmers! The title for this post may be a bit off - we all know I don't run anywhere anymore, as those days are well behind me. However, we are at about the halfway point of the summer. Being more of a 'glass half-full' than 'half-empty' sort of person, I do realize there are more days of fun in the sun ahead of us than what we've left behind. That said, it seemed like a good time to update you on what's been going on here at the Stress Pool. 

DH and I made a trip to Washington D.C. recently because I wanted to see one of my favorite musicians, Ludovico Einaudi. He's the most streamed musician in the world - at least, that's what they said by way of introduction at the concert. He's from Italy, and the closest he was coming to the Burgh was D.C.  So as a Christmas present to myself last year, I bought two tickets to the concert, which would be held at the Kennedy Center. Bonus: we've never been there. That whole experience is a story by itself - finding a hotel near enough to walk to the Kennedy Center, but wanting to be cautious walking through our Capital city at night, finding a shuttle we could catch to the KC just a couple blocks from where we stayed, looking for restaurants...it was an adventure, to say the least! However, the music was SPECTACULAR. He played for two solid hours, no intermission. If you've never listened to him, I suggest you try. Most of his music is expressive, yet soothing to the soul. My favorite is 'Fly'. The first time I heard it, I imagined Eggbert's soul ascending, and still get that feeling every time I hear it. The following pictures are: Me waiting to go inside the Concert Hall (yes, we had to wear masks); Waiting for Ludovico; and a shot of the grandeur of the Kennedy Center.






We then traveled northward to Lancaster, PA, and spent a few days relaxing and shopping. We also went to the Sight and Sound Theatre to see 'David'. Truly, it is all about the sights and sounds - down to sheep running through the main aisle! (And, the attendants who came along behind to clean up after the running sheep...) The only sense not used was taste, unless you bought a snack at the concession stand. Highly recommend going there if you've never been before. We'd like to go back next year to see 'Moses'. Wow, already planning for next year!

Here at the Pool there has been a lot of reading. I usually strive for 10 books through the summer - I'm already up to 12! Our book club read 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' - it was a good read. I picked up a book of poetry at the library called "When I am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple" - title based on the poem 'Warning' by Jenny Jones - one of my faves, which was included in the anthology. However, many of the other poems and essays made me a little sad - I guess because I'm closer to that point of my life than the editor of the anthology! I'm still making my way through the Mitford books - a good, clean read that waxes nostalgic of small-town living in the not so distant past. Jan Karon separated the books into two categories: At Home in Mitford series, and then the Father Tim Books. I'm about to start the second part of the series. Thanks to Tommy and BFFB for recommending those. A friend recommended a Jodi Picoult book, "Small Great Things" - wow. Just, wow. Very powerful, and raises many questions of what you know and feel about racism. A must-read, if ever there was. Along those lines, our book club's summer read is 'Black Cake' by Charmaine Wilkerson. A well-told story. That's all I'll say, in case one of my book club buddies is reading this, and hasn't read the book yet! Looking for a good mystery/thriller? Anything Kendra Elliot. I just finished her Mercy Kilpatrick series. She ties it up nicely. Another thriller I read was 'Trust No One' by Debra Webb. Yup - highly recommend! DH has also been doing a lot of reading, and he usually passes on his reads to me - that's the beauty of sharing a Kindle library!

And, the reading list goes on...I'll update you after I've read a few more. 

Otherwise, there has been a little artwork happening - I did finish a painting I've been working on for awhile - I call it White Rose. Keep it simple, I always say! 



There are a few others in the works, but not nearly enough done on them to share yet.

Well, that's it for now. No, I have not yet organized the linen closet, nor have we unpacked everything from the garage yet. There is still a little time to do those things. For now, let's unplug from the craziness and sit in the pool. Bring your favorite beverage and some stories from how your summer is going, what you're reading these days, and what projects you've got going. Remember, the Stress Pool is always up and running!

1 comment:

  1. I have 50 pages to go in Black Cake... Very well told story. Love your White Roses!!!!!! Glad you treated yourself to a musical adventure. Looking forward to hearing the details, poolside when possible! Splash

    ReplyDelete