Saturday, August 17, 2019

Ode to Summer

Well, here we are, at the end of another summer. My year doesn't run from January through December, but August through June. July is a bonus month! And now, sadly, I bid summer adieu.

There were many plans: walls getting washed; painting the front porch; purging clutter. I painted the front porch - it looks pretty good, much better than the 20 year old green outdoor carpeting! Washing walls? Nah. Purging? A little, but so much more needs to go! A good winter project that absolutely must be done!

Thinking about the year this way made me wonder about people whose jobs make them see things differently. Accountants - their year ends in April, and they judge time by quarters. I'm certain there are other professions where people look at time in varying increments. Mine runs on the Academic schedule, which leaves July as the "let's make all the doctor appointments and fit a trip in somewhere" month.

I've spent the last two days in my respective classrooms - first playing the game of "where did I store this at the end of the year?"! Do I ever put things in the same place? What fun would that be? Once that's done, then I get to start going through supplies that have been delivered - and as an art teacher, it feels a lot like Christmas! However, supplies are getting pricier, and we don't get as much bang for our buck, and nobody is giving me more bucks to keep up with the higher prices. So, time to revert to square one - what did poor, starving artists do? (That might be a bit much for eleven year old kids to take in!) We'll make do. The schedule for this year will be demanding - as one colleague put it - "You have no pee time!", and she's right. This year there is even less time!

"Be Creative." This is the motto for the year. Last year's motto was "I'm not going to be miserable this year." While I'll still be carrying that theme through the school day, I'm also going to have to be really creative - with training the kids to do most of the clean up, using time wisely, and perhaps investing in Depends, since there really is no time to run to the bathroom! (Just kidding - that could be disastrous!)

So, in the final summer days here at the pool, we're still trying to fit in the last doctor appointments, another day out with some friends, and leave ONE DAY OPEN to play around with some artwork. Then, in-service. You might know the old adage "I hope I die during in-service, because the transition from life to death with be barely noticeable..." Good-bye to Facebook friends; solitaire will have to wait another day. And the books? I've read a lot this summer, and will continue, but instead of a book a week, it will become a book a month.

An upside? The new stove will arrive at the end of the month. Until then, we're shifting things around on that calendar, mindful of the limited time one has to prepare the meal. And Ms. Business only has one more week before heading back to school. Ah, summer. Farewell, my friend.

Bring on Autumn - and Pumpkin Spice Bailey's. And, if you're in the neighborhood, stop by the pool and let us know how you're doing. No matter what, the Stress Pool is always open!

2 comments:

  1. I speak your language - with my yearly reflection time beginning with each new school year. I never thought of July as a bonus, but I like the concept. I wish that we could have enjoyed some summer tea together. Let's make that a major priority for next summer. I look forward to enjoying your sweet spirit, creative wit and honed insight more this year as our schedules align once more. I am sure that PD days will be more fun with you brightening the room. I can't fix everything but I can cover your class when Mother Nature calls. See you soon Neighbor!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right back at ya, sister! Thanks for your kind words - and I also look forward to sitting with you during PD - after all, we're the seasoned veterans now, and will have to teach those new kids how it's done!

    ReplyDelete