Saturday, January 12, 2019

Zombies Have Been Sighted

Be afraid. Very afraid, for I've seen zombies hovering outside my classroom windows.

I would like to say it's because the zombie apocalypse has finally arrived (in which case, in answer to Moink's question  "What would you do if there was a zombie apocalypse?" I will be the first to go), but fortunately, that isn't the case. It's really because my head is going to explode and zombies seem to sense these things.

Why is my head going to explode? Artist's Statements. I thought that in asking my fifth and sixth grade students things like, "Tell me three things you learned", "What are two things you like about your project?", and "What is one thing you would do differently?", then I would be getting them to - wait for the catch phrase - write across the curriculum. In theory, what a great idea! In practice -oy!

Let's start with "What would you do differently?" I tell them the answer "Nothing" is not acceptable. Every artist would do something differently the next time. I still get a lot of "Nothing - I like it just the way it is." Sigh.

Then there is "What two things do you like about your project?" This is always interesting, but because they get to talk about this extension of themselves, I get great answers.

"Three things I learned." For each class, I projected the sheet onto the screen and went through how to answer the questions. For each lesson, there are skills and techniques - it is art, so that's a no-brainer (at least, in my mind!) Sometimes we look at something historically or culturally relevant, so there's that. Sometimes we look at an artist or two who were famous for that style of art. So many things to choose from! I even pointed out that on this same sheet are listed the concepts, techniques, styles, and artists studied. So easy, right? Not so much.

Let's take the latest project from fifth grade - weaving. We made "Mug Rugs". A sane person would call them coasters, but let's be creative - they look like mini rugs, complete with fringe. And you can put your mug on it. Simple basket weave, which is over and under. They had to choose a particular color family - we used our color wheels to do discover what some of the different color families are, like primary and secondary. We talked about complimentary colors, and how to find them on the color wheel. We talked about monochromatic color schemes.We talked about using tints - like pink for red. I listed all of these on the white board and asked them to choose which one they thought they'd like to use. Come up with a pattern, and established that patterns repeat. Let's look at possible patterns! Write it down so you remember. Well.

Weaving with kids can be fun. For many, this is the only time they'll do something like this, but it's hard to get them to understand this is not crocheting or knitting. As a teacher, I quickly find out who has learned to tie their shoes and who has not.(Yes, fifth graders still don't know how to tie their shoes!)  I teach them to start the weaving with an "anchor" row that will hold things together. (If you don't anchor the boat, it will sail away!) Getting them to start from the inside of the cardboard loom rather than from the edge is hard, so I demonstrate and make the analogy that "The loom is our house. Everyone is leaving the house - mom, dad, grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles and brothers and sisters and even the cat...except the dog." At this point, I have woven through from somewhere in the center of the loom to the edge, with half a row and only the tail end of the yarn left in the center, indicating this is the dog. Everyone giggles and they seem to get this visual. Then, we commence. Some take to it like a fish out of water, some take six classes or so before it finally clicks. It's a fine motor skill. It's amazing how many kids just don't get the chance to develop those skills anymore.
Taking it off the loom when finished is another trick. You have to cut the string and tie double knots. "I don't know how to tie double knots." There is then the establishing if the child is right handed or left handed, and then I'm teaching them how to tie a knot. (Please keep in mind that I teach four hundred plus fifth graders a year!)
You might be thinking that we've already gotten to the point of my head exploding - not so! It doesn't happen until I'm reading what they've learned. Remember, it's supposed to be a reflection of what we learned in class, not personal epiphanies. There were many concepts, skills and techniques taught and learned, at least one hopes.

"Art is fun." Nice, but what did you learn?
"There are lots of tools in weaving." Awesome. What are they?
"I learned to weave." Okay...what about it?
"I learned what a pattern is." I think you should have already known that.
"I learned about color families."  What did you learn about color families?
"I learned to tie knots." Yes - something specific! And useful!
"I learned to leave the dog at home."
This is about where the ticking time bomb that lives inside my brain began to speed up. Yes, I laughed - who wouldn't? But oh, I looked out the window and saw them gathering. Those zombies know a meal is about to be served, and they don't care if they have to scoop it off the walls.

A new semester is fast approaching, and a whole new bunch of fifth and sixth graders will cross the threshold of the art room. I think there has to be a better way to find out what they've learned, and leave writing across the curriculum to another humanities teacher, one who might be younger, whose brain hasn't yet begun to leak out of his or her cranium.

I won't make you weave when you come to visit at the pool, or write about your experiences, but I might ask you to join me in a favorite beverage and just share those mind-blowing experiences of our lives. Come back soon before the zombie invasion actually occurs!

No comments:

Post a Comment