Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sometimes the Water is Murky

I've not got a good memory.  There are times Hubby and I are out, and someone stops to talk for a few minutes.  After parting, I wait for it, and the question always comes. "Who was that?"
My standard answer:  "I'm not sure."
So, when I went into the office supply store this evening for a printer cartridge, I ran into a similar situation.  The cashier asked if I had my rewards card - you know, the ones that give you coupons for things you'll never use - and of course, I didn't have it with me.  He was able to look it up using my phone number, and my name popped up on his screen.  He asked if that was me, and then said, "Well, of course it's you, I know who you are."
Well, I shop there maybe two, three times a year tops.  Now I'm searching his face.  Do I know him? Then my other downside kicked in:  I misunderstood what he said.  I thought he said we sing together.  I sing in two choirs, and knew he wasn't in the local church choir - could he be in the larger one, the one with 80 members?  So, I said, "We sing together?"
"No, I don't sing," he said.  Now he was confused.  Good, I wasn't the only one.  "I said, I think."
Good.  That's a good sign.
 He said he recognized me from when I've been in the store.  Smiling, I said I was sure that was it, took my ink and walked to the car, all the while thinking how difficult it can be having a face that looks like so many others.
Who, apparently, share my name.
Until next time, keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment